I love this salad of warm lentils and roasted veg in sweet and sour dressing. It’s great for lunch or supper.
Ingredients for the salad:
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into batons
- 1 medium fennel, sliced into 1 cm slices
- 1 tbsp extra virgin oliveoil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Optional: cooking chorizo sausage, about 70 g, sliced (bacon or other sausage can also be used)
- 1 large shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 can of puy lentils, 200-250 g drained
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- rocket leaves
- Herbs and spices: ground black pepper, salt, thyme
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- pinch of salt
- 0,5 tsp dijon mustard
- 0,5 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp honey
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pre heat the oven to 200C.
- Cook parsnips in salted boiling water for about 5 minutes, drain. Put parsnips and fennel in a roasting dish, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with black pepper and salt. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with a couple of pinches of thyme. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft and cooked through.
- Fry chorizo in a frying pan until fat has released and the meat pieces are slightly browned. Add chopped shallots and fry until they have softened, stirring occasionally. You may add some oil for frying if there is not enough and shallots are too dry.
- To fried onions and sausage add drained lentils. Salt to taste. Stir everything together and keep on the hob until lentils have heated through.
- For the dressing, in a jug mince garlic with a pinch of salt to make a paste. Add dijon mustard, lemon juice, turmeric and honey. Mix all ingredients with a balloon whisk. While whisking vigorously add slowly virgin olive oil and mix until a smooth dressing emerges. Season with some black pepper.
- To assemble the salad spread rocket leaves on a plate, put warm lentils on the leaves and top lentils with roasted veg. Drizzle the whole thing with the dressing. Enjoy while still warm.