I love one pot roasts like this one here. Meat and vegetables together, to save time and effort. There is some simple prep work involved, some time in the oven and the Sunday dinner is ready. The dish can be served with boiled potatoes with addition of some gherkins or beetroot salad.
- 1 kg turkey breast, a whole breast or cut into portion-size pieces
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into batons
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into batons
- Oil for frying
- Herbs and spices: ground black pepper, salt, chilli, lemon juice, turmeric, sage, 1 tsp green peppercorns grounded in pestle and mortar
- Sprinkle turkey with 1 tsp of ground black pepper and 1 tsp of salt. Mix well so that all meat is covered in seasoning. Leave to rest for 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C
- Pre-heat 2-3 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and fry the meat on high heat until coloured. Remove turkey to a casserole dish with lid.
- Place vegetables around the meat or among meat pieces. I personally like to char parsnips a little on a high heat in a frying pan before putting them into the casserole.
- Sprinkle everything with some chilli,
- salt to taste,
- lemon juice (about half a lemon),
- 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp of sage.
- Dot lumps of butter among vegetables and on meat.
- Sprinkle with ground green peppercorns or black pepper. Pour some water to the bottom of the baking dish, a couple of splashes here and there.
- Cover with lid and roast for up to 1.5 hr.