Lovely dish to accompany eggs at breakfast. It’s also great with grilled meats or on its own, served with a piece of bread.
- 2 medium aubergines, roughly diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- A handful of green pitted olives, chopped/sliced
- Can of chopped tomatoes or passata
- 2 tbsp of toasted almond flakes
- Oil for frying
- Herbs and spices: dried oregano, ground ginger, ground black pepper, salt, dried thyme, ground caraway, sugar (optional)
- In a small pan with lid braise tomatoes with some olive oil on a low heat for about 7-10 minutes.
- In a larger, non-stick pan pre-heat about 4 tbsp of oil on a medium flame and fry and stirr diced aubergines for about 10 – 15 minutes until aubergines have wilted and some have browned.
- Add chopped onion, 1 tsp of oregano, crushed garlic, 1 tsp of ground ginger, 1 tsp of ground black pepper. Give everything a good stir and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add olives, salt to taste (about 2 tsp),
- 1 tsp dried thyme,
- 1 tsp ground caraway and almond flakes. Mix everything. Add some sugar if the sauce is too sour from tomatoes.
- Finish off with some ground black pepper. Cover with lid and cook on a medium/low heat for about 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally. If there’s not enough liquid add some cold water to prevent the stew from burning.